Thursday 30 January 2014

Keyboard as MIDI


I have been looking into ways of using an interactive element into installations. As I previously stated I was interested in using MIDI as a communication medium between the user and the system, but there needed to be a physical interface involved. I have experience mapping musical keyboards and using them as a MIDI controller, but I wanted to use something more familiar and technology based. 

I developed the idea of using a computer text keyboard as a device to communicate the MIDI data to the triggering software. Based on initial research this would involve using another piece of software in the chain, so that the text data can be converted to the MIDI language. 

Bome seem to make the most promising solution - http://www.bome.com/products/mousekeyboard



I made a mockup of a possible way of incorporating the keyboard into the structure whilst keeping a strong theme of being wary of technology. Here I have proposed the idea of only having limited keys with printed letters on, these would be the switches used to process the MIDI data and I have shown a quote from 1984 on the board. All the keys that are left blank will have the same MIDI code and will all trigger a "defect" mode in the installation.



No comments:

Post a Comment